Patrice Evra attracting lots of interest following Marseille sacking – agent
Patrice Evra’s agent Federico Pastorello says his client’s career is not over after he was banned, fined and sacked for kicking a fan ahead of Marseille’s Europa League tie at Guimaraes earlier this month.
Evra, 36, is a free agent after being sacked by Marseille following the incident, which also earned the former France international a ban from European club competition until June 30, 2018, and a €10,000 fine.
Since his ban only applies to UEFA club competitions, Evra could still play in a domestic league, and he has been linked with a move to Napoli, who have recently lost their regular left-back Faouzi Ghoulam to a knee ligament injury.
Pastorello says a move back to Serie A for the former Juventus player is unlikely, though, but claims a host of clubs are still interested in signing him.
“He knows he’s made a mistake, but his career does not end here,” Pastorello told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “He doesn’t want it to end like this. Physically, he’s in better shape now than he was five or six years ago and many clubs have already made enquiries.
“Patrice cannot see himself playing in Serie A again after his years at Juventus, though. We’re not excluding anything, not even the Azzurri [Napoli], but I think that would be complicated.”
The former Manchester United defender spent two-and-a-half seasons with Juve before joining Marseille in January.
He had played in just four of Marseille’s Ligue 1 games this season before initially being suspended and then sacked for misconduct.
Ben Gladwell reports on Serie A, the Italian national team and the Bundesliga for ESPN FC, UEFA and the Press Association. @UEFAcomBenG.